Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Are You A List Maker??

For anyone that knows me, they know --- that I LOVE calendars.  So January is a fun time for me. There is something about the organization of it all.  Having a place to put down my plans, ideas, appointments and LISTS!  I recently read an article online at medium.com called The "Not To-Do" List:  Why You should Do Less, Not More.  Check it out!

It started out with the origin of the idea.  "In a world of complexity, we use lists to pack all the madness into a simple, digestible format that helps increase our productivity and even increase our overall happiness."  I would agree.  I love the list!  "Lists help us make sense of the world around us." - Umberto Eco.  I have lists for groceries, home repairs, Christmas lists, Christmas card lists, To Do Lists, cleaning lists.......

So what is wrong - they state 1) lists become ineffective because they do not account for time - we tend to do the things we can complete quickly and leave the longer tasks undone.  2) The list can't distinguish the important of each item.  And 3) lists can contribute to stress.

I loved seeing this picture they posted from the great Benjamin Franklin.  One entry at 6:30 pm, put things in their places, supper, music or diversion, or conversation; examination of the day. Classic list from his day!

So on to the "Not To-Do" List --

They state you should list the top five things that are your primary focus such as --
- Don't say yes unless you're 100% sure you can deliver.
- Don't be late.
- Don't use my Smartphone on Sundays.
- Don't avoid eye contact.
- Don't eat sugar.

I think this is really a fantastic idea.  Learning to be positive and productive.  And perhaps not as overwhelmed or unsatisfied with ourselves.  I'm going to attempt it.  Will you give it a try?  Not sure what happens when we run out of milk though......no grocery list! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment